Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Passport Information

Beginning October 1st 2008 an appointment is needed for all passport applications.
To request an appointment, please visit the following link

You may locate the appropriate forms below.

General Information:
The Passport & Citizenship Office accepts applications for U.S. passports, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad and Claims to U.S. Citizenship.

Our contact number is (868) 208-2000.

You may come to our office between 9-12 AM or 1:30-3:30 PM.

In most cases, all original documents submitted by the applicant in support of the application will be returned to the applicant on the same day. Previous passports will generally be cancelled and returned to the applicant upon receipt of the new passport. The new passports will be available in approximately 10 days.

Passport book vs. passport card: As of February 1, 2008, U.S. citizens may apply in advance for the new U.S. passport card, in anticipation of land border travel document requirements. The passport card will facilitate entry and expedite document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. It will otherwise carry the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and will be adjudicated to the exact same standards.

The Department of State is issuing this passport card in response to the needs of border resident communities for a less expensive and more portable alternative to the traditional passport book. The card will have the same validity period as a passport book: 10 years for an adult (16 years of age and above), 5 years for children less than 16 years of age.

Methods of payment: All fees are payable in cash (U.S. dollars) or with most credit cards.

Passport forms: Go directly to to fill out the form.

First time applicants (adults and minors) (DS-11 form): To obtain a U.S. passport for the first time, you may be asked to submit certain documents.  Click here to see a list of passport requirements.

For information regarding passports for minors please visit the Department of State web page:

Renewals for adults (DS-82 form): You can apply for a renewal of your passport if your previous passport: 

  • was issued when you were 16 or older;
  • was issued in the last 15 years; 
  • is not damaged; 
  • has the same name as on the most recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S passport card


the name has been changed by marriage or court order and you can submit the proper documentation to reflect the name change; 

  • is submitted upon renewal.

You will need to complete the DS-82 form, bring a current government-issued photo ID, and provide two identical U.S. passport size photographs of 2 x 2 inches (5 x 5 centimeters), of the front side of the face and in color with a white background. Otherwise, please follow the instructions for first-time applicants.

By federal law, applicants must provide a Social Security number if they have one.  

Amendments: Since September 26, 2005, as an additional security enhancement, Passport Services no longer amends valid passports. Instead, applicants requesting name changes, extension of validity for limited passports, or correction of a printing error must apply for replacement passports.

If the change is within one year after issuance, applicants will submit the "Application for a U.S. Passport for Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement" (DS-5504 form), together with the passport that needs the change, the documentation required, and new passport pictures. There will be no charge for routine processing.

If the change is more than one year after issuance, applicants will need to submit an "Application for Passport by Mail" (DS-82 form), together with the passport that needs the change, the documentation required, and new pictures. The cost includes the $70 application fee and $40 security surcharge, for a total of $110 for routine processing. Nonetheless, if the requested data change is due to a printing error by Passport Services, there will be no charge.

Those only needing to add visa pages to their passports will submit the "Application for Additional Visa Pages or Miscellaneous Passport Services" (DS-4085 form). The charge for this service is of $82 USD.

All of these forms are available at

Lost or Stolen Passport

Obtaining a replacement Passport: The U.S. Consulate General in Matamoros encourages you to report the loss or theft of your passport to local authorities and to obtain a police report.

Obtaining a replacement passport is a two-step process: 

  • You must report the loss or theft of your valid passport immediately to the nearest U.S. Passport Office or U.S. Embassy or Consulate using the "Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport" (DS-64 form).      
  • Apply for a replacement passport. 

More information is available at the Department of State's "Lost and Stolen Passports" web pages: and

In the event that your passport is lost or stolen while in Mexico, please come in person to the Passport & Citizenship Section of the United States Consulate General in Matamoros (working hours). Depending on your personal circumstance, the Passport office will process your application. If the passport is found after it has been lost or stolen it cannot be used.

You will need proof of citizenship (an original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization) and a valid government issued photo ID with signature, such as a driver's license or state issued ID. The cost of the passport is the same as first time applicants.

Schedule an Appointment

  • Calendar logo

    Appointments are necessary to apply for U.S. Passports and CRBAs. Please schedule your appointment here.

  • Announcement
    Effective October 1, 2014, all passports will be issued in Matamoros will have 52 pages. Applicants can request to add an additional 24 Visa Page Inserts (VPI) until December 31, 2015. We will no longer be able to provide Visa Page Inserts starting January 1, 2016

STEP Program

  • STEP Program